Nearly every company in the world runs on custom business software: Gartner estimates that up to 50% of all code is written for internal usage. This is the operational software for refunding orders, underwriting loans, moderating content, managing marketplaces, rolling out new features, onboarding employees, analyzing transactions, providing customer support…the list is nearly endless. For most companies, building and maintaining all of these tools demands a lot of engineering time—scarce, expensive resources better put to use on customer-facing products.
At Retool, we’re designing a new type of development environment that makes it dramatically faster and easier to build all of this software. Retool unifies the ease of visual programming with the power of code, while abstracting away the tedious and repetitive tasks of development. We believe that the future of software development lies in being a force multiplier for developers and technical builders, helping them move considerably faster and build a lot more software. It’s akin to a new version of Visual Basic, HyperCard, or Flash—with a bit of Figma and some future-of-programming vibes thrown on top. Today, our customers span from small startups building their first operational tools, to Fortune 500 companies building mission-critical apps for thousands of users across their business.
DESIGN AT RETOOL
Retool designers make decisions that will affect millions of people, from the developers creating software to the employees who operate it every day. Instead of designing just one product, we’re effectively designing unique software products for thousands of companies across many different verticals.
This also presents a unique design challenge. Because it’s possible to build nearly anything in Retool, we don’t have absolute control over how our users experience the product. We’re constantly seeking just the right balance between convention and configuration, between technical expressiveness and conceptual simplicity.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Retool's brand is evolving rapidly as the business grows, requiring continuous experimentation and iteration in how we express our brand across different channels to attract new users. As a brand designer focused on growth, you will play a crucial role in scaling our brand across various marketing channels and initiatives that aim to acquire new customers for the business. You will help evolve our brand systems based on data and insights, while also maintaining the craft and quality of the brand as we explore different approaches to attract developers to Retool. This position is part of the Brand Design team and a central design org, reporting directly to our Associate Creative Director.
IN THIS ROLE, YOU'LL
- Partner with marketing to produce work across email marketing, landing pages, social media, paid digital advertising, slide decks, reports, whitepapers, one-pagers, field marketing and swag
- Extend and translate established brand systems into production-ready assets for strategic marketing initiatives
- Help explore and maintain a flexible brand system for Retool that scales
- Collaborate with the brand team to establish how Retool’s visual identity is strategically expressed across all experiences
- Act as a champion for the brand and how design is applied globally
- Design through iteration, experimentation, data and insights
- Ensure consistency in brand work across all channels
- Be an active participant in design at Retool, providing thoughtful feedback in critiques, reviews, and more
THE SKILLSET YOU’LL BRING:
- Minimum of 5 years of experience working in-house or in an agency setting.
- Experience and understanding of the formal elements of graphic design—including typography, color, layout, and composition with proficiency in Figma.
- Passion for branding, demonstrable through a portfolio of strong work in a variety of contexts and execution with a focus on brand systems.
- Strong communication skills and the ability to collaborate effectively.
- A curiosity to stay educated on the latest design technologies and techniques, tempered by a desire to establish an original, opinionated style—not follow trends.
- A track record of successfully collaborating with design, marketing and business partners to translate project needs, audience insights, and constraints into informed design decisions.
- An ability to balance many simultaneous projects, independently prioritize work based on project objectives and business goals, and thrive in a fast-paced, high-growth startup environment.
- A proactive, self-starter work ethic with the ability to operate independently within a small team; Thoughtful, empathetic and creative.
Retool offers generous benefits to all employees. For more information, please visit the benefits and perks section of our careers page!
Retool is currently set up to employ all roles in the US and specific roles in the UK. To find roles that can be employed in the UK, please refer to our careers page and review the indicated locations.