Upwork ($UPWK) is the world's work marketplace. We serve everyone from one-person startups to large, Fortune 100 enterprises with a powerful, trust-driven platform that enables companies and talent to work together in new ways that unlock their potential.
Last year, more than $3.8 billion of work was done through Upwork by skilled professionals who are gaining more control by finding work they are passionate about and innovating their careers.
As a senior researcher on the team, you will be responsible for leading end-to-end research projects to inform the development and improvement of Upwork’s products and services. You will partner with the BU lead researcher to inform the research roadmap and collaborate with multiple cross-functional squads to drive product-led growth. In this role, you will also have the opportunity to work closely with Sales and Marketing. You will become the expert in the needs of key client and talent segments and will ensure offerings and experiences meet their needs. You will need to be based in the USA and available for occasional travel in the Chicago office (Once per Quarter)
- Lead end-to-end user research for selected teams. Work with the Lead researcher and key partners to identify and execute on research priorities.
- Synthesize past research into actionable insights and recommendations, and regularly share them within and beyond Product squads.
- Be responsible for conducting the right research (both strategic and tactical), using the right methodologies, at the right time. Own the end-to-end planning and execution of research studies.
- Set up the tools and processes to support insight generation, knowledge consolidation, and insight socialization with your teams (e.g. nurture Client panel).
- Introduce, or grow existing, channels and regular customer touchpoints for the Product team to learn directly from the end user (e.g. continuous discovery calls).
- Translate customer insights into actionable recommendations. Advocate research findings to diverse audiences in formats that inspire action.
- Lead and participate in Design Thinking workshops, ensuring teams are ideating with a background in user empathy.
- Build bridges across Product, Sales, Marketing, and Customer Experience for knowledge sharing. Develop and execute on a knowledge transfer plan.
Must Haves (Required Skills):
- Demonstrable experience working as part of a Product team in a fast paced environment.
- A track record of discovering, synthesizing, and socializing actionable insights that have influenced real products.
- Demonstrable experience with B2B and B2C.
- Demonstrable understanding of business goals and ability to translate those into learning goals. Experience asking as well as answering questions for businesses.
- Demonstrable understanding of analytics, usage data, funnel data.
- Highly skilled in qualitative User Experience Research methods (e.g. interviews, concept validation, usability testing, RITE, Kano surveys, co-design activities).
- Experience telling stories that resonate, using words, visuals, and data, as needed.
- Strong communication and collaboration skills, and extensive experience partnering seamlessly with cross-functional stakeholders and influencing decisions.
- *Portfolio is required*