Intercom is an AI powered, automation-first customer service platform that lets businesses deliver fast support, keeping customers satisfied, costs low, and service teams happy.
It is the only complete customer service solution that provides a seamless customer experience across automation and human support. Customer service teams from more than 25,000 global organizations, including Atlassian, Amazon and Microsoft, use Intercom to send over 600 million messages per month and enable interactions with over 800 million monthly active end users. The company was founded in 2011 and is backed by leading venture capitalist including Bessemer Venture Partners, Kleiner Perkins and Social Capital.
The Intercom Creative Studio is looking for a Senior Principal Designer to lead the team in creating inspiring, boundary pushing, world-class design work. This is an individual contributor who will work directly with the Chief Executive Officer, Head of Design, and Creative Director to deliver the highest quality design and creative work across various key initiatives and projects.
The ideal candidate will present a robust portfolio of quality design work that shows an emphasis in experimental design, typography, and real-world applications. This person’s work should pull inspiration from a wealth of artistic references and styles and should have an expertise and passion for art history with an ability to recognize and reference great artistic eras, influences, and figures.
The candidate should have a wealth of boundary-pushing visual design experience, an obsession with sweating the finer details of design, ability to art-direct towards brand accurate execution, a driving ambition for creative quality, and will lead the team through unparalleled work ethic, optimistic outlook, and unrivaled design work.
This person knows what great looks like, has great aesthetic tastes, and has a signal on what others are doing in the creative/tech/saas space.
This person should be articulate in presenting their ideas, confident in their approach, and passionate in their interactions and execution. They should also be empathetic, kind and approachable with a willingness to work with others and a desire to build a strong creative culture within the team.
What will I be doing? 🚀
- Work directly with the CEO, Head of Design, and Creative Director to deliver world-class design work
- Lead execution of impeccable design work across the team
- Design direct more junior designers with precise, inspiring, thoughtful design feedback
- Work on key, high-impact, high visibility projects
- Create impactful branding for Intercom events
- Continuously learn about Intercom’s products and maintain deep empathy with B2B SaaS audiences
- Document and communicate design & creative learnings to other members of the Creative Studio and stakeholders across the company
What skills do I need? 📖
- 15+ years design experience with a portfolio showcasing a breadth of brand work
- Proficiency in Figma, Adobe CC
- Experience in motion design and illustration (in execution and/or art direction)
- Ability to work autonomously and guide more junior members of the team
- Ability to balance staying on top of design trends while remaining true to Intercom’s core brand identity
- Detail oriented—ability to sweat design details while also seeing the big picture
- Understand the impact of change at a strategic, systems-wide level that can affect the brand as a whole
- Ability to communicate with precision, clarity, honesty, and respect
- Ability to articulate and defend decisions to senior leadership
- A strong understanding of Intercom’s brand strategy and how to apply it
- A strong understanding of business goals and strategy
- Ability to navigate ambiguous projects
We are a well-treated bunch, with awesome benefits! If there’s something important to you that’s not on this list, talk to us! :)
- Competitive salary and meaningful equity
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Regular compensation reviews - great work is rewarded!
- Open vacation policy and 10 corporate holidays
- Paid Parental Leave Program
- 401k plan & match
- In-office bicycle storage
- Fun events for Intercomrades, friends, and family!
The base salary range for candidates within the San Francisco Bay Area is $195,500 - $264,500. Actual base pay will depend on a variety of factors such as education, skills, experience, location, etc. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. All regular employees may also be eligible for the corporate bonus program or a sales incentive (target included in OTE) as well as stock in the form of Restricted Stock Units (RSUs).
*Proof of eligibility to work in the United States is required.
Intercom has a hybrid working policy. We believe that working in person helps us stay connected, collaborate easier and create a great culture while still providing flexibility to work from home. We expect employees to be in the office at least two days per week.
Intercom values diversity and is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity. Intercom will not discriminate against an applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, age, physical or mental disability, veteran or military status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state, or local law.
Is this role not quite what you're looking for? Join our Talent Community to stay connected with us.