At Improbable, we believe that the next revolution in entertainment and society will come from massive virtual worlds. They will create new economies and opportunities globally, changing not just how we play, but how we work and relate to each other. That’s why we’ve made it our mission to build the next generation of technologies for online multi-user games and simulations. As part of that, we are launching a series of ground breaking titles to players around the world.
The Multiplayer Group (MPG) are 300 developers and data scientists, helping our clients and partners build 20+ AAA projects at any one time. We’re probably the most experienced multiplayer dev group in the world and we’re set up to help the games industry make games more easily, to deliver the highest quality, and become long-term partners.
We hire the best people, our talented team is spread across the globe. We’re remote-friendly and big on wellbeing, so if you love the sound of us, we’d love to hear from you!
We are actively recruiting a Concept Artist to help MPG deliver expert art support to our clients. You will work with the art/animation/tech art team and alongside production, design, QA and engineering teams in helping to deliver the best multiplayer experiences in the world.
You are an experienced artist who has helped develop high quality concept art for game development. You are confident in owning your deliveries - helping schedule work and report on progress. You are an expert in your field with an arsenal of direct experience to call upon. You can operate independently on projects and demonstrate the full capabilities of your craft, understanding the technical as well as creative challenges. You’re happy to help mentor more junior artists and work collaboratively across the team to ensure the best possible ideas are professionally presented and realised in-game.
You fully understand that your art skills will only get you so far when it comes to creating solutions and that your other non-technical skills, such as effective communication, mentoring, and teamwork play an important role in your work.
This is a perfect opportunity for the right person to help contribute to the visual direction for our exciting games.
What you'll be doing:
- Follow visual direction and technical briefs to create concept art for characters
- Work with the concept art team to help define and communicate the visual style of the game
- Work using relevant 2D/3D concept software - plus game development software such as version control and production tools
- Identify and log tasks, track and report on progress, keeping your team up to date
- Assist development with documentation, reviews and quality assurance of art
- Maintain high quality standards and process: workflows, documentation, approvals
- Assist more junior team members in day-to-day work, being proactive in sharing your knowledge
- Attend stand-ups, craft meetings, deep-dives, reviews, show and tells, etc
What we'll need from you:
- Concept Artist portfolio/showreel showing production ready concepts across a variety of styles
- Attention to detail with a strong ability to analyse and comprehend Visual Direction and adapt style as needed
- Excellent understanding of traditional art skills, proportion, composition, lighting, colour etc
- Solid problem solving: knowledge of typical concept art challenges in creating art for games
- Excellent knowledge of typical concept art software and tools
- Ability to communicate with leads and producers and prioritise work, flag issues, identify risks
- A good communicator with the ability to verbalise conceptual thoughts and the willingness to accept constructive critique
- “Final touch” quality control on concept art assets
What would help:
- Experience creating concepts in 2D and 3D
- Experience in a similar role is highly desirable
- Experience working a full game development cycle