Nearly every company in the world runs on custom business software: Gartner estimates that up to 50% of all code is written for internal usage. This is the operational software for refunding orders, underwriting loans, moderating content, managing marketplaces, rolling out new features, onboarding employees, analyzing transactions, providing customer support…the list is nearly endless. For most companies, building and maintaining all of these tools demands a lot of engineering time—scarce, expensive resources better put to use on customer-facing products.
At Retool, we’re designing a new type of development environment that makes it dramatically faster and easier to build all of this software. Retool unifies the ease of visual programming with the power of code, while abstracting away the tedious and repetitive tasks of development. We believe that the future of software development lies in being a force multiplier for developers and technical builders, helping them move considerably faster and build a lot more software. It’s akin to a new version of Visual Basic, HyperCard, or Flash—with a bit of Figma and some future-of-programming vibes thrown on top. Today, our customers span from small startups building their first operational tools, to Fortune 500 companies building mission-critical apps for thousands of users across their business.
DESIGN AT RETOOL
Retool designers make decisions that will affect millions of people, from the developers creating software to the employees who operate it every day. Instead of designing just one product, we’re effectively designing unique software products for thousands of companies across many different verticals.
This also presents a unique design challenge. Because it’s possible to build nearly anything in Retool, we don’t have absolute control over how our users experience the product. We’re constantly seeking just the right balance between convention and configuration, between technical expressiveness and conceptual simplicity.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Retool is looking for a Design Producer to define and enable our creative processes to help the team deliver high-quality, and impactful work. The best design work is made possible with best in class design processes. With our goal of not building another cookie-cutter enterprise SaaS brand, a well established process will play a critical role in yielding the best results. This position sits within our Brand Design team and will partner closely with the Head of Brand Design, playing an important role in implementing a structured, efficient process for shipping work across web, brand systems, events, campaigns, employee experience and more.
IN THIS ROLE, YOU'LL:
- Partner with cross-functional partners to define project requirements and scope against business objectives. Negotiating while driving for net positive outcomes.
- Defining, implementing, iterating and evangelizing the design process across all creative initiatives
- Manage the creative production process to best enable the Brand Design team to deliver high-quality creative work that successfully connects to business impact
- Source, onboard, and manage external creative partners (e.g creative agencies, illustrators photographers, production companies). Negotiate and manage project statements of work, budget estimates, and partner contracts.
- Build systems for project documentation, status tracking, and facilitate communication practices with stakeholders around quality, impact and efficiency that maintain project health and set clear expectations for decision making
- Establish planning and resource processes in collaboration with design leadership on quarterly and annual project roadmaps
- Act as a champion for the brand and how design is applied globally
- Be an active participant in design at Retool, providing thoughtful feedback across design and product teams in critiques, reviews, and more
THE SKILLSET YOU’LL BRING:
- Minimum of 5 years of experience as producer in a creative agency or in-house team
- Understanding of the formal elements of graphic design—not just limited to the web—including typography, color, layout, and composition
- Demonstrated ability to facilitate the creative development process and guide the execution from conception to launch
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; showcasing an ability to clearly communicate with team members, cross-functional partners, vendors, and leadership
- Strong problem solving, project management, and organizational skills
- You are detail-oriented, organized, and are driven to create and maintain systems that enable others to do their best work.
- A track record of successfully collaborating with design, marketing, and engineering partners to translate creative needs, marketing insights, and project constraints into informed creative output
- An ability to balance many simultaneous projects, independently prioritize work based on project objectives and business goals, and thrive in a fast-paced, high-growth startup environment
- A proactive, self-starter work ethic with the ability to operate independently within a small team; Thoughtful, empathetic and creative.
Retool offers generous benefits to all employees. For more information, please visit the benefits and perks section of our careers page!
At this time, Retool is only set up to employ in the US and UK.