Medium’s mission is to help people deepen their understanding of the world and discover ideas that matter. We are a team of less than 100 employees globally, building a place where ideas are judged on the value they provide to readers, not the fleeting attention they can attract for advertisers. We are creating the best place for reading and writing on the internet—a place where today’s smartest writers, thinkers, experts, and storytellers can share big, interesting ideas.
We are at a pivotal point where we get to reimagine the future of Medium, both the product and the tech stack. Our team is growing, and we are looking for an experienced Engineering Manager to lead our web platform team as we plan and build the next iteration of Medium for the modern web. This is a prominent role that leads all of our web products including Post pages, Profiles, Publications, Home Feed, and the Post Editor.
What will you do?
- Manage the team of web engineers building our core web experiences.
- Work with individual engineers on your team on their professional development including conducting regular performance reviews.
- Work with the product management and design teams to ensure that we are building great products that benefit our customers.
- Inspire your team to tap into their creativity to build great products experiences with clean and maintainable code
- Clear obstacles for your team so they can maintain a high development velocity.
- Report directly to the VP of Engineering and work closely with them on technical, team structure, process, and recruiting strategies.
Who are you?
- At least 2 years of experience managing engineering teams.
- At least 5 years experience as an engineer writing production code for consumer products.
- Broad knowledge of modern web languages and frameworks (including TypeScript and React).
- Great communication and leadership skills.
In addition to the new skills you'll pick up, here's what else you'll enjoy by working at Medium:
- Working with a fully distributed team: we’re totally remote and have teammates across the U.S.
- Generous benefits that support your wellness and professional development
- 100% covered Medical benefits for employees
- Parental Leave & additional Family Support (Cleo)
- Covered sessions for Therapy (Spring Health) and Professional Coaches (Bravely)
- Stipends for Wellness, Learning and your home office/wifi
- Unlimited PTO, Summer & Winter Company Breaks, and standard company holidays
This is a fully remote position and you can be based anywhere within the U.S. The compensation range for this position is between $220k-$240k per year base salary + equity and benefits, and is dependent on years and depth of experience.