Getmyboat, the largest boat rental and charter marketplace, is all about boating the world together. We believe boating is an essential and deeply rich experience that uniquely connects people and places, and everyone should access it often in all its global abundance. Remote work is baked into our DNA and has been a big part of our culture since we started in 2013. Our talented team operates across Europe/Africa and the Americas time zones. Together we solve interesting challenges, build, design, learn, and iterate towards our mission to boat the world together.
A Senior UX/UI Designer to join our globally distributed team to help design Getmyboat’s apps and services for business growth. The role’s primary focus is on executing UI solutions to explore and define the user experience. This role is open to candidates in the SAST and CET time zones.
At Getmyboat, design is planning, and planning is design. The Design & Product Team is responsible for the product and brand experience across every touchpoint our customers have with the company. Our goal is to drive company growth with novel solutions, improvements, service strategies, and communications that remove friction, improve usability, and position Getmyboat as the most innovative brand in boating.
The Senior UX/UI designer leads a collaborative effort with team members to plan what the product will become and how it will be built. The role delivers solutions for roadmap priorities across a wide range of business contexts, platforms, and communication channels. The position requires a Swiss-army knife skillset, focussed heavily on the execution of UI design options to explore, iterate, gather feedback, and solve complex user experience problems. At Getmyboat UX Research is conducted continuously across the organization and is not a primary focus or sole responsibility of this role. We treat UX/UI design as a creative practice position, where design experiments are encouraged to quickly explore possibilities and get specific upfront about how things will work before we decide we should build them.
Success in this role will be defined by using creative UI design skills and deep usability awareness to drive user-centered product planning and execution, creating clear specs for implementation by developers.
Your voyage (what you'll do):
- Executing UI designs and novel UX solutions for priority projects and features from exploration to detailed specs.
- Lead design and planning collaboration with stakeholders and developers.
- Work across mobile apps, web, and internal operations platforms.
- Identify usability issues and frictions, explore improvements, and propose solutions.
- Structure, break down, and organize user experiences to communicate scope and requirements with the development team.
- Assess various approaches to UX/UI to identify scope/value tradeoffs and help prioritize the delivery of essential value.
- Gather information through research, feedback, and prototyping to inform decision-making and prioritization.
- Execute world-class visual design, usability, UI writing, interaction design and have a passion for building great software product experiences.
Your craft (who you are):
- 8+ years working in-house or agency as a UX/UI/Interaction/Product designer with 4+ years as a Senior UX/UI/Interaction/Product Designer.
- Deep experience in mobile app design, and current working knowledge of Apple’s Human Interface Guidelines and Material Design.
- Expertise in UX/UI design, usability, design systems, software development, and user research.
- Proficiency in Figma, Adobe CS, and flexibility to learn and adopt new tools.
- Excellent at web design, visual design, usability, UX writing, user experience design, and have a passion for building great software product experiences.
- Understand enough about code and technology to be able to collaborate with developers to solve UX problems, and provide thoughtful UX feedback on work in progress and existing product UX.
- Deep knowledge and understanding of the theory and practice of UX/UI, product design, HCI, software engineering, art, graphic design, and other relevant fields.
- Familiarity with Scrum, Kanban, Agile, work styles, and designing for React, iOS, and Android.
- Adjacent creative and/or marine industry talents or interests.
- Experience in similar industries (tech startups, travel, leisure, boating, outdoor brands).
Your application should have:
- An exceptional visual and design portfolio of relevant UX/UI projects for mobile apps and web.
- Brilliant interpersonal and communication skills in English.
What you can expect after you apply
Because we are a team that prioritizes moving words to action, we do our best to move as quickly as we can on our end and look to iterate on our hiring processes over time based on feedback and learning.
Our hiring stages may vary a little bit depending on the type of position. If at any point, you aren't moved to the next stage, you will be notified. In general, you can expect the following:
- Confirmation when your application is submitted
- Email request for scheduling an introduction screening conversation
- Email request for scheduling an interview with the hiring manager
- Additional interviews and a Case Study presentation
- References & Reverse Interview(s): This allows candidates to speak to and ask questions of anyone on our team if they have remaining questions
What we offer
- Fully remote environment: Flexibility and trust that our team will do and deliver their best work.
- Globally distributed team: International learnings and collaboration within an inclusive and diverse culture and time for focus work.
- Transparency: Open communication is key to our culture. You can feel free to chat with anyone, are empowered to share ideas, ask questions, and challenge the status quo in a way that moves the company and team forward.
- High-quality product: No rushing to push out poorly developed or designed features.
- Consumer-Facing Brand: Your work will be seen and used by millions of people to book their most memorable vacation experiences.