At Improbable, we believe that the next revolution in entertainment and society will come from massive virtual worlds. They will create new economies and opportunities globally, changing not just how we play, but how we work and relate to each other. That’s why we’ve made it our mission to build the next generation of technologies for online multi-user games and simulations. As part of that, we are launching a series of ground breaking titles to players around the world.
The Product team at Improbable Defence is responsible for the design of valuable and desirable products and an underlying synthetic environment platform that users need, and that align closely with business goals, enabling our customers to save money and save lives.
We are building simulation-enhanced decision support tools for planners, policy designers, and decision-makers, so that they can use synthetic environments to evaluate, analyse, and respond to the challenges they face. There are various elements to this. Firstly, users can experience and interact with their environment using a geospatial dashboard for improved situational awareness, drawing conclusions and forming structured plans.
Secondly, the tool is an interface to the simulation engine. Users can run complex models, many times, at scale. A critical part of the value we deliver for clients is letting them use complex data generated by models, which results in better analytics. Our task is to design and build solutions for visualising this information both geospatially and temporally. The data visualisation work is done in close collaboration with scientific modellers in the division.
Areas of Impact:
- Understand and apply the design process end to end, from discovery to delivery, as part of an agile Product team.
- Understand user research (choice of methodology to application) and product development, follow the lead from L3 Product Designers and UX Researchers
- Gather and translate business/client insight into design concepts to test and validate design directions and decisions.
- Produce low and high-fidelity sketches/prototypes/final UI.
- Develop trustful and collaborative relationships with colleagues, our customers (clients), and end users.
- Develop knowledge of the defence industry and our users to make informed design decisions.
- Work closely with Product Managers, Owners, and engineering and model engineering teams to define and prioritise features.
- Collaborate with engineers to implement designs of the highest quality.
- Contribute to the component system and be an owner of your design.
- Be an integral part of the Experience Design team.
Critical Professional Skills:
- Ability to produce production-level visual and interaction design.
- Understanding of modern product design approaches and foundational interaction design principles and patterns.
- Good prototyping skills at different fidelities.
- Strong communication skills and a collaborative working style.
- Ability to produce high-fidelity presentations for our internal and external clients/partners as well as video producing/editing skills.
- Interest in gaining knowledge and experience in Product Design, and growing within the Experience Design team
Critical Knowledge/ Experience:
- Experience working in an agile team, and advocating good practice, in end-to-end product design processes from discovery to delivery
- Experience in engaging and influencing customers and stakeholders to achieve optimal, user-centred outcomes.
- Able to translate complex technical subject matter to user requirements and solutions.
- Experience in shipping digital products.
- Understanding in research activities and the synthesis of insight to inform design decisions.
- Experience with data visualisation and/or geographic information system (GIS).
- Has working knowledge and experience in their own discipline
- Continues to build knowledge of the organization, processes and customers
- Performs a range of mainly straightforward assignments and has become well-practiced at the soft skills associated with professional work (time management; communication; prioritisation; delivery)
- Uses prescribed guidelines or policies to analyze and resolve problems
- Receives a moderate level of guidance and direction