We believe that reading is magic.
And that we need new tools to keep that magic alive. Think about a moment when a piece of writing opened you up to a totally new understanding of your world. Or when a friend had you read something that ignited a conversation and forced you to articulate a belief you didn’t quite have the words for.
We’re building a tool to give you more of those moments. A tool that chooses agency over algorithm. Debate over noise. Quality over recency. We’re a team of fanatic readers who saw internet technology change drastically while our tools for reading remained, dismayingly, the same. So with the backing of GV, Y Combinator, and many stellar angels, we set out to build something better.
Matter is building the future of reading.
We're a small, productive team that obsesses about craft, speed, and pushing technical boundaries in service of building the best reading experience imaginable.
We're looking for people who care deeply about building high quality software.
We’re a fully remote and distributed team (preference for at least six hours of overlap with Pacific Standard Time). We use modern tools like Linear, Figma, Superhuman, Loom, and Around for collaborative work.
We offer generous salary, equity, and benefits (including unlimited budget for books), and the freedom to define your ideal schedule and office set up.
Design is at the heart of our product and you’ll be the one who owns it. Our CEO has been the designer to date and it’s now time to bring on a world class lead to take Matter to the next level.
What You'll Do:
As our first designer, you’ll own all facets of design, from the 10,000-ft level (what’s our information architecture?) to the 1-inch level (should this spring animation take 400 or 300 milliseconds?).
You’ll design across mobile, tablet, web, and email.
You’ll understand our users’ jobs-to-be-done, shape our roadmap, and figure out how features should work, look, and feel.
You’ll work with our CEO and engineers in tight, demo-oriented feedback cycles and you’ll work closely with our engineers on implementation. We ship quickly and you’ll help push the pace.
Who You Are:
- Senior product designer with 5+ years designing widely used digital products
- Strong conceptual and systems thinker who is also obsessed with pixel perfection
- Proficient in interface design across mobile & web. Proficient in motion. (Experience in typography and illustration are a nice-to-have.)
- Excited to push the boundaries of craft and UX. Excited to design for fidgeting
- Share our orientation toward modern, elegant, clean, efficient aesthetics
- Good intuitive psychologist, especially with respect to attention dynamics
- Operate well in an early-stage environment where there's more change and less structure compared to a more mature company
- Are passionate about reading and want to reimagine the status quo
How to Apply
Write Ben (CEO) directly at [email protected] with a link to your portfolio and any other information you think is relevant.