Grindr is the world’s largest dating app for gay, bi, trans, and queer people. With around 13 million monthly active users, Grindr has become a fundamental part of the global LGBTQ community, and we take pride in empowering our users to connect, express themselves, and discover the queer world around them.
Our next evolution is underway as a newly public company looking to expand and continue to build meaningful experiences for our users. From social issues to original content, we’re blazing innovative paths with impact for our community, all while leveraging the latest tech stacks and striving for engineering excellence. At the heart of our work in this new chapter is a shared set of core values: openness and exploration, a bias for action, and strong support of the LGBTQ community.
With a track record of strong financial performance and plans for continued headcount growth, we’re looking to build a team of talented, passionate, and open-minded people who believe in our mission, align with our values, and are excited to work at the intersection of innovative technology and social impact. Come be a part of this exciting journey with us.
What’s so interesting about this role?
We are looking for a well-rounded Principal Product Designer who has a passion for conceiving and executing simple and impactful interfaces for the queer community. Grindr is a huge, uniquely important app, and you’ll be part of a small team that shapes the direction and future of a product used by millions of people a month. This is an opportunity to directly affect the lives of millions of people through your aesthetic, interaction, and product choices.
What’s the Job?
- Design valuable, cohesive, and delightful user experiences for Grindr.
- Being an active mentor for senior designers, and helping lead critique, design reviews, and quarterly planning.
- Oversee multiple initiatives from insight to strategy, to launch across all platforms and devices.
- Partner with Product Managers, Engineers, Data Scientists, and Researchers to define problems & goals, map user flows, prototype interactions, and launch new products and services.
- Build strong relationships with leaders inside and outside of core product teams; strong communication and executive stakeholder management skills
- Have a keen understanding of technological, business and user opportunities and constraints.
- Scope project work (in partnership with PMs and engineers) and help define the design process and timeline.
- Always be an advocate for our users.
- Stay up-to-date with mobile app design trends, best practices, patterns, new capabilities, etc., and use this knowledge to push the product forward.
What We’ll Love About You
- Experience: 10+ years of experience in product design, UI design, and/or UX design in a fast-paced environment.
- An outstanding portfolio, showcasing excellent visual and interaction skills and craft —mastery in your field.
- Highly collaborative. Able to build trust & strong relationships at all levels, influence without formal authority, and push back when appropriate.
- Demonstrated ability to help a team navigate ambiguity, set vision, and set strategy for global products.
- Confident in your own skill but respectful of the contributions of others.
- Experimental by nature, excited and knowledgeable about A/B testing and user research.
- Strong storytelling, presentation, communication and stakeholder management skills.
- Deep experience with driving and applying user-centered design processes while working with cross-functional teams including development, product management, and product research.
- Knowledgeable of industry and platform-specific patterns.
- Can effortlessly motivate and drive small to medium teams to transform a product.
- Experience designing for both Android, iOS and Responsive web.
- Experience with Figma, Sketch, Adobe Creative Suite, Proto.io (or other prototyping tools) is a must.
- Experience working on a live app.
We’ll Really Swoon if You have
- Front-end web development skills
- Experience designing for social media or dating apps
- Experience with animation and/or motion design
- Experience conducting exploratory user research and usability testing
- Experience with quantitative data gathering and surveys
- Experience in the Anti-Abuse or Trust & Safety domains
What you'll love about us
- Mission and Impact: Grindr is the world-leading LGBTQ social networking service. Your role will impact the lives of millions of LGBTQ people around the world
- Multiple Locations: We currently have offices in LA, NYC, and Chicago, and are hiring someone for this role to be based ideally in Los Angeles, San Francisco, New York City, or Chicago
- Family Insurance: Insurance premium coverage for health, dental, and vision for you and partial coverage for your dependents
- Retirement Savings: Generous 401K plan with 6% match and immediate vest in the US
- Compensation: Industry-competitive compensation and eligibility for company bonus and equity programs
- Queer-Inclusive Benefits: Industry-leading gender-affirming offerings with up to 90% cost coverage, access to Included Health, monthly stipends for HRT, and more
- Additional Benefits: Flexible vacation policy, monthly stipends for cell phone, internet, wellness, and food, one-time home-office setup stipend, and company-sponsored events