Toko helps English learners in East Asia achieve speaking fluency. Through our mobile app, learners engage in short, realistic conversations with an AI and receive feedback on their grammar.
With over 150 topics, learners can practice real-world scenarios ranging from small talk to workplace discussions. Toko offers a low-pressure environment to help learners build up their confidence.
We make language fluency accessible to everyone - not just those with the means to meet 1:1 with a tutor.
In Taiwan (our first market), Toko is ranked #3 in the App Store for Education!
Toko is hiring an ongoing, contract, part-time UI/UX designer (10-20 hrs/wk) to increase product dev velocity! To apply, please send us a link to your portfolio.
$50-150/hr based on experience, billed hourly or by project
💻 What you'll do
- Translate user pain points, ideas, and sketches into high fidelity mobile mocks and wireframes ready to be built by engineers
- Improve discoverability of existing features by designing new UI layouts and UX flows
- Turn around first drafts & iterations in 1-2 days for any given project – we’ll always scope the project together such that it’s doable in that time frame
😄 Who you are
- You can work East Coast time zones (to facilitate iteration/comms)
- You enjoy being scrappy and working as the only designer in a small team (we're a team of 4!)
- You have 2+ years of industry experience, some of which (if not most/all) is mobile-first consumer experience
- You have strong English written communication skills
- You would consider UI/UX design one of your strengths -- please note, we are not focused on visual or brand design at the moment
- You either feel ok navigating a mostly Traditional Chinese UI
- You have experience working with learning or education products
- You have experience working with the Taiwan or Hong Kong consumer
- You have experience working with the East Asian consumer
🚀 We’re on a mission to help the 1.5 billion English learners in the world unlock better economic opportunities.
🌟 For non-native English speakers, leveling up English can materially better their career prospects and their families' lives. For some users, it means unlocking a 3x increase in salary. But any foreign language learner knows that speaking is the hardest part.
💪🏼 Toko helps English learners become fluent in speaking. Through our app, users engage in 5-min conversations with an AI to build confidence for real-life scenarios. We make language fluency accessible to everyone - not just those with the means to meet 1:1 with a tutor.
🏆 In the Taiwan App Store, Toko is in the top 3 apps for Education! Toko has thousands of active paying subscribers and is growing rapidly (30+% MoM).
🙏🏾 We’re a proudly women-led team with engineering & product experience at Quizlet, Palantir, Codecademy, Google, and MIT. Toko is backed by a roster of incredible angels and top-tier VCs including GSV and Y Combinator.
🙌🏽 We're revolutionizing language fluency - join us!