Volley is on a mission to make everyday life a little more entertaining.
Volley is the leading developer of voice AI games for smart speaker platforms like Amazon Alexa, smartphones, and connected TVs. Every month, millions of users interact with our popular products like Song Quiz, Jeopardy!, Question of The Day and The Price is Right.
We're seeking a Staff Product Designer who will not only drive creative vision and discovery at Volley but also be a mentor for the existing team. You will create best-in-class entertainment and gaming experiences across several platforms, including Roku & Fire TV, Alexa home devices, and mobile. Your full-stack approach will be pivotal in discovering opportunities within voice-based games as you research and design industry-leading solutions.
This job offers a hybrid work arrangement. We're seeking candidates comfortable with on-site attendance at our Bay Area office 2-3 times per week. Candidates currently residing in or near the Bay Area or willing to relocate for on-site work are particularly encouraged to apply.
What you'll do at Volley
- Be the go-to expert for all things product design, from ideation to implementation.
- Lead by example, mentoring and up-leveling your product design peers.
- Create user-centered solutions that optimize the user experience based on testing.
- Work closely with Data Analytics to make data-informed design decisions.
- Share best practices and critical learnings across the organization.
Stuff you may have done before
- Designed and scaled products from inception to millions of users.
- Built multi-platform gaming experiences.
- Mentored or managed product designers.
- Applied data-driven reasoning to feature development.
- Held senior roles in consumer entertainment, gaming, or voice-based experiences.
- 6+ years of experience in product design.
- Curiosity-driven mindset and resilience in the face of challenges.
- Strong understanding of the “why” behind feature development.
- Expertise in designing for engagement and fun in games.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Miro & Figjam
- Adobe Creative Cloud
Your first 90 days
- Become a fully integrated and trusted contributor.
- Contribute feature proposals to our best IPs across multiple platforms.
- Identify future areas for opportunity and impact.
- Contribute proactively to product design strategy and process improvements.
The hiring process
- Stage 1 (Preliminary Screening Call) with a member of our recruitment team
- Stage 2 (Hiring Manager Interview) with our Head of Product Design
- Stage 3 (Take Home Test) a time-boxed design project
- Stage 4 (Behavioral Interview) with members of our product design org
- Stage 5 (Virtual Onsite Interview) with various partners and team members
- Stage 6 (Founder Chat) with our Co-Founders
- Stage 7 (Offer)
What's in it for you
- Your medical, dental, and vision insurance is 100% covered by Volley, for yourself and all dependents and we match 401k!
- We offer a flexible, hybrid work-from-home and in-office work model.
- We offer 4 weeks of paid time off (enforced 2-week minimum), 16 paid holidays, 40 hours of bereavement leave, and unlimited sick days.
- Our generous parental leave policy includes 24 weeks at 100% pay for birthing parents and 12 weeks at 100% pay for non-birthing parents.
- We offer visa support for eligible candidates, making relocating for the job smoother and more streamlined.
- A full breakdown of our benefits is here!
For Pay Transparency: The salary range that we expect to pay for this position is $167,720-$230,615 annually. This is a portion of the pay band for the role and level we are seeking. The final offer amount will depend on experience, education, and skills. Base pay is only one part of the total package that is provided to compensate and recognize employees for their work
Volley, named one of Y Combinator's Top Companies, is the leading developer of voice AI games and entertainment apps for smart speaker platforms like Amazon Alexa, smartphones, and connected TVs. Our voice apps are world-class and attract millions of users every month.
We’ve created several of the top experiences for voice-controlled devices, including:
- Jeopardy - America’s most popular game show
- Song Quiz - a name-that-tune music trivia game
- Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader? - a quiz game to test your elementary-level knowledge
- Bedtime Stories - a soothing, narrated skill to help you fall asleep
We believe voice control will be the main way people access entertainment in their bedrooms, kitchens, living rooms, and cars. Our goal is to build a destination for interactive audio entertainment, as Netflix did for television.
Volley believes in an inclusive workplace and is committed to building a team from a variety of backgrounds. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, perform essential job functions, and receive the other benefits and privileges of employment.
We’re a small but quickly growing team that truly enjoys working together. We love coming together over Zoom happy hours, the funny and strange in Slack #random, and occasional karaoke sessions in our brand new Hayes Valley office. If this sounds like fun (we promise it is), get in touch!
Underrepresented candidates and candidates from nontraditional backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply!