Loom is a new kind of work communication tool, already helping millions of people get their message across through instantly shareable videos. Our users work at companies like HubSpot, Square, Uber, GrubHub and LinkedIn. Our mission is to empower everyone at work to communicate more effectively and get ahead, wherever they are.
Founded in 2016, Loom has raised capital from top-tier investors including Sequoia, Kleiner Perkins, General Catalyst and Slack Fund.
Loom is seeking a Senior Engineering Manager to lead a mission-critical team of engineers working to continue improving the quality and value of our media platform. This person will be an empathetic, technical, and collaborative leader focused on maximizing customer and business value.
The Core Media team lives at the heart of Loom’s product development, providing a set of libraries, services, and APIs used across our systems to power recording, editing, and playback. As the manager for this team you’ll become a domain expert and partner with engineering and product colleagues across core product to help improve existing products while blazing the trail for new ones.
- Lead our Core Media team in delivering high-quality libraries and services supporting our full breadth of recording, editing, and viewing products
- Define quarterly roadmaps and ensure successful delivery
- Collaborate cross-functionally across our core product engineering teams to align our core media roadmap with product initiatives
- Support our highly-skilled team in their career goals and aspirations
- Foster a healthy, supportive, and inclusive work environment within the team
- Lead efforts to continuously improve performance and reliability within our recording, editing, and viewing experiences
- Advise and support the team on architecture, technical design, and debugging
What We're Looking For
- Managed a team of 4 or more engineers while continuing to find ways to contribute technically, outside the critical path as a technical program lead
- Strong ability to continuously balance important / urgent, short / long term work with strong reasoning rooted in business impact
- Strong technical ability — can rubber duck with teams on technical solutions rooted in deep understanding of effective software development practices
- Managed remote engineers distributed across multiple timezones
- Track record of hiring, retaining, and growing senior engineering talent
- 6+ years of professional full-time experience as a software engineer
- 2+ years of engineering management experience
- Experience leading platform teams is a plus
- Previous experience managing a team focused on media technologies is a plus
Perks at Loom
- Competitive compensation and equity package
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage for employees and dependents (for US employees)
- 14 paid company holidays plus Summer Break in July and Winter Break in December
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA) and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account (DCFSA)
- Healthcare reimbursement (for International employees)
- Life, AD&D, Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- 401(k) with 4% company matching
- Wellness stipends
- Unlimited PTO
- Paid parental leave
- Remote work opportunities
- Professional development reimbursement
- Home office & technology reimbursement
How We Work
Freedom and Flexibility: At Loom, we believe work is an act, not a place. When we disengage work from a location, we can accommodate a broad range of life choices. You can choose to work from home or while you travel. We are able to hire across the United States and are continuing to expand our international presence. And you are free to move within a country without any adjustment to compensation.
Engaging Workday: The key to an engaging workday is finding the right balance between different ways to work sync, async, text and video. Loom makes it easier for us to say what we mean without having to schedule a zoom meeting or struggle to find the right words. And using async communication allows us to free up time for deep work every day. We believe there's a place for sync time - often a conversation on Zoom is exactly what is needed. For team meetings, this ‘sync time’ is typically between 9AM-Noon PT given where the overlap of timezones where Loommates are located.
Work-Rest Balance: The way we balance the fast-paced demands of a high-growth startup and sustainability is making rest a priority. We offer a flexible PTO policy so you're able to take time off when you need it. We also go fully offline for Summer Break around 4th of July and between Christmas and New Years. Rest is also part of the workday, not just during PTO. Taking a break for personal commitments, whether it's watching the kids or getting some exercise is a natural part of the workday.
Social Connection: Relationships and connectedness matter. We are intentional about building trust and relationships through unique, shared experiences. Our virtual workspace keeps us connected day-to-day whether it's through Looms celebrating wins or our buzzing Slack communities. Loommates are able to meet in person with their teams at least twice a year purely for fun. We have also built local offices for those who want to work or meet in person, starting with San Francisco and New York City.
Loom = Equal Opportunity Employer
We are actively seeking to create a diverse work environment because teams are stronger with different perspectives and experiences.
We value a diverse workplace and encourage women, people of color, LGBTQIA individuals, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, older members of society, and others from minority groups and diverse backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, religion, color, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. All employees and contractors of Loom are responsible for maintaining a work culture free from discrimination and harassment by treating others with kindness and respect.
To learn more about how Loom collects and uses your personal information during the application process, please see the Loom Candidate Privacy Notice.