Mozilla exists to build the Internet as a public resource accessible to all because we believe that open and free is better than closed and controlled. When you work at Mozilla, you give yourself a chance to make a difference in the lives of Web users everywhere. And you give us a chance to make a difference in your life every single day. Join us to work on the Web as the platform and help create more opportunity and innovation for everyone online.
At Mozilla, we believe that the “metaverse” – like the internet itself – should be open and accessible to all. That’s why we’re building Hubs.
Hubs empowers communities to gather in safe, private, decentralized virtual spaces where they are in control. Hubs fosters creativity and connection at a time when online interactions often lack the spontaneity and opportunity to delight, inspire, and build trust between people.
As a Senior Gameplay Engineer, you will leverage and hone your game development skills to build the core client, engine, and art tools powering the Hubs product suite.
What You'll Get To Do
- Build delightful experiences in the Hubs application (and its underlying game engine)
- Build tools for artists and developers to bring their creative visions to life
- Work through the core problems of interactive 3D games including multiplayer networking, graphics, audio, avatars, IK, animation, physics, and performance optimization.
- Share your knowledge and support community developers building addons and their own applications based on Hubs.
- Work transparently on open source software and participate in standardization and interoperability efforts to protect a user-respecting future for immersive applications.
As an ideal candidate…
- You have professional game programming experience
- You care about speed, simplicity and pragmatism in your approach to coding and problem solving
You have deep domain knowledge of relevant topics like:
- Game mechanics, camera systems, simulation, and scripting
- Three.js, 3D Math, Graphics/Rendering
- Game engine internals, whether your favorite engine is Unity, Unreal, Godot, a proprietary engine or one you wrote yourself
- Web apis like WebGL/WebGPU, WebAudio, WebRTC, WASM
- Internet architecture/topology/protocols and web standards
- Hardware-aware optimization techniques
- Artist tooling and asset pipelines
You prefer to join a small team solving many problems rather than focusing on one part of a large game / game engine.
You enjoy variety in your work: from game engine internals, to gameplay mechanics and tools for artists.
You express your ideas clearly in written and spoken English.
You have 4+ years of professional programming experience, preferably in related domains.
Bonus points if…
- You have spent many years in the games industry and can bring the wisdom of that domain to the interactive web.
- You contribute to open-source projects.
Commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging
Mozilla understands that valuing diverse creative practices and forms of knowledge are crucial to and enrich the company’s core mission. We encourage applications from everyone, including members of all equity-seeking communities, such as (but certainly not limited to) women, racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of all sexual orientations, gender identities, and expressions.
We will ensure that qualified individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, as appropriate. Please contact us at [email protected] to request accommodation.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race (including hairstyle and texture), religion (including religious grooming and dress practices), gender, gender identity, gender expression, color, national origin, pregnancy, ancestry, domestic partner status, disability, sexual orientation, age, genetic predisposition, medical condition, marital status, citizenship status, military or veteran status, or any other basis covered by applicable laws. Mozilla will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics or any other unlawful behavior, conduct, or purpose.
US Tier 1 Locations: $137,000 USD - 200,000 USD
US Tier 2 Locations: $126,000 USD - $185,000 USD
US Tier 3 Locations: $116,000 USD - $170,000 USD
To learn more about our Hiring Range System, please click this link.