We're on a mission to make it possible for every person, team, and company to be able to tailor their software to solve any problem and take on any challenge. Computers may be our most powerful tools, but most of us can't build or modify the software we use on them every day. At Notion, we want to change this with focus, design, and craft.
We've been working on this together since 2016, and have customers like Pixar, Mitsubishi, Figma, Plaid, Match Group, and thousands more on this journey with us. Today, we're growing fast and excited for new teammates to join us who are the best at what they do. We're passionate about building a company as diverse and creative as the millions of people Notion reaches worldwide.
Notion is an in person company, and currently requires its employees to come to the office for two Anchor Days (Mondays & Thursdays) and requests that employees spend the majority of their week in the office (including a third day).
📍Location: New York, US
You'll lead the team responsible for crafting and improving the search and discovery experience in Notion. You'll work with the team to delight our users by building innovative products around search experience, full-text search, ranking, personalization, and recommendations. You'll play a critical role in ensuring that our users derive more value from the product as the size of their workspace grows. In this highly cross-functional role, the scope of your team will cover product, infrastructure and ranking.
What You'll Achieve:
- You'll build and manage a diverse and inclusive team of engineers working on core parts of Notion's product. You'll create a healthy environment in your team that embodies Notion's values.
- You'll recruit, coach, and develop engineers; you'll ensure engineers are regularly receiving feedback and are making progress on personal and professional goals.
- You'll collaborate closely with cross-functional peers to set the direction of your team and develop your product roadmap.
- You'll facilitate planning—the prioritization, sequencing, and staffing of work—for your team.
- You'll own execution in your team to develop a steady cadence of delivering value to Notion users.
- You'll cultivate an environment of technical excellence. You'll be responsible for maintaining a high-quality bar for everything your team ships.
- You'll participate in shaping how the engineering organization works— you'll help develop our technical practices, recruiting and onboarding strategy, planning and prioritization process, and more
Skills You'll Need to Bring:
- You have 2+ years of experience managing engineering teams with a record of shipping high-quality products in a fast-paced environment.
- You have built, or are committed to building, diverse and inclusive teams.
- You have managed search, ML, or data teams with a record for shipping high-quality data products. You nurture collaborative, supportive and challenging environments where engineers grow and do their best work
- You are passionate about improving the user experience and have built and launched high-quality user-facing products.
- You create team environments that are at once collaborative, empowering, supportive, and challenging—ones where engineers do their best work.
- You have experience with designing, building and maintaining complex distributed systems (backend engineering, search infrastructure or natural language processing/machine learning)
- You value empathetic and direct communication enabling you to give and receive feedback effectively and create alignment cross-functionally or cross-teams.
- You have a high tolerance for ambiguity and change. You enjoy jumping into whatever areas need attention and learning as you go.
Nice to Haves:
- You have worked at a fast-growing start-up, a SaaS company or are eager to contribute in such an environment (being a current Notion user would be great!)
- You have hands-on experience building full-text search (e.g Lucene, Elasticsearch, Solr or other proprietary solutions), recommendation systems, large scale data solutions (e.g. Spark, Flink, Kafka, Airflow, Hadoop)
- You've heard of computing pioneers like Ada Lovelace, Douglas Engelbart, Alan Kay, and others—and understand why we're big fans of their work.
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Notion.