About Lottie Lab
Our mission is to democratise motion design for everyone, everywhere. To create a world of storytellers and make the web more fun through animations!
- We have started by helping product folks (mainly designers, devs and marketers) create more magical digital experiences for their users using animations.
- We do this through a super easy-to-use animation editor that lets users create Lottie animations from scratch, and edit them collaboratively from within the browser.
- This allows our customers to get all the benefits of their animations as code instantly, particularly performance and interactivity, without needing to code.
- From the Duolingo app characters to the slick animations on websites like Apple or Stripe, the use of animations to delight users is rapidly growing! It is no longer a differentiator, people expect delightful UX. We are the tool enabling this future.
✅ What we’re looking for
✏️ How you work: Our engineers are unicorn developers who strive to understand not just the how but also the why of every feature they work on. Can you deep-dive technically into researching a problem but also care about how it improves the quality of the product for the user? If so, we'd love to have you!
💥 Product Passion: Does the idea of enabling the democratisation of interactive animations and storytelling by building the cutting edge animation tool excite you? Have you worked with animated graphics, whether that's motion design, gaming, or frame by frame animation? We'd love to hear from you.
✅ What does this role look like:
- You'll work with others to build new core features from start to finish: through conception, research, implementation, maintenance and further optimisations. For example, you might build a tool for editing bezier curves, starting with how does a user think about drawing lines, and finishing with how can I render curves and handles in realtime over a network with a super-fast user experience.
- You'll help improve performance and reliability, or polish existing features. For example, you might make rendering 10x faster, or you might halve the latency between a user in Asia and a user in Europe.
- You'll build internal tools to support simplicity and productivity for the whole team and find ways to work in parallel with other feature development to supercharge them.
✅ Skills top candidates may have:
- Mathematical thinking & core Mathematics skills (especially if you enjoy solving problems in graphics-relevant topics like Trigonometry, Linear Algebra, Differential & Computational Geometry, Multivariable calculus, vectors and matrices)
- Familiarity with manipulating and transferring data through formats like JSON and working with data structures and serialisation.
- Familiarity with the SVG specification and comfortable web graphics programming
- Manipulating the 2D Canvas
- Comfortable with graphics programming
- Experience experimenting with WebGL, WebGPU and/or WebAssembly
- Experience with generative art
- Game development background
✅ Skills we love in our team:
- Thoughtful problem-solving: For you, problem-solving starts with a clear and accurate understanding of the context. You can decompose tricky problems and work towards a clean solution, by yourself or with teammates. You're comfortable asking for help when you get stuck.
- Put users first: You think critically about the implications of what you're building, and how it shapes real people's lives. You understand that reach comes with responsibility for our impact—good and bad.
- Scrappy and Experimentation-driven: You understand that sometimes the best way to figure out a solution is to be scrappy and build functional versions. You thrive in testing various hypothesis live with users, learn and iterate quickly towards a high-quality solution.
- Not ideological about technology: To you, technologies and programming languages are about tradeoffs. You may be opinionated, but you're not ideological and can learn new technologies as you go.
- Empathetic communication: You communicate nuanced ideas clearly, whether you're explaining technical decisions in writing or brainstorming in real time. In disagreements, you engage thoughtfully with other perspectives and compromise when needed.
- Team player: You understand when work is better, together. You enjoy collaborating cross-functionally to accomplish shared goals, and you care about learning, growing, and helping others to do the same.
✅ What we offer
- Salary and Equity package
- Fully remote working environment
- Fully expensed off-sites so we can all meet up and chill in person!
- Work from home allowance, and tech/ software you need to allow you to work your best