Webflow is the leading visual development platform for building powerful websites without writing code. By combining modern web development technologies into one platform, Webflow enables people to build websites visually, saving engineering time, while clean code seamlessly generates in the background. From independent designers and creative agencies to Fortune 500 companies, millions worldwide use Webflow to be more nimble, creative, and collaborative. It’s the web, made better.
The Designer Experience team is responsible for building and investing in the design capabilities of our core product to empower millions of designers worldwide to easily adopt Webflow to build, manage and scale any number of sites efficiently.
We’re looking for a Staff Backend Engineer to join the Designer Experience team and lead the team to deliver impactful features for our customers to build highly personalized web experiences. In this role you will both lead the technical direction and be a mentor & partner to other engineers on the team. Additionally, you will help lead cross-functional efforts to drive even greater impact.
About the role
- Location: Remote-first (United States; BC & ON, Canada)
- Full-time / part-time
- Exempt status
- Our cash compensation amount for this role ranges from $151,000 - $208,000 for most US locations and $168,000 - $231,000 for US locations with a higher cost of labor. All figures cited above are in $USD and pertain to workers located in the United States. Pay is based on several factors including market location, and may vary depending on job related experience, knowledge, qualifications, and skills.
Reporting to Engineering Manager, Designer Experience
As a Staff Backend Engineer, you’ll …
- Architect, design, and implement scalable backend services
- Drive cross-pillar collaboration with software engineers, product managers, designers, and QA analysts in an autonomous, supportive team environment
- Effectively communicate team priorities and strategy to engineering and cross-functional leadership teams
- Build and maintain unit and integration tests
- Provide clarity on processes and priorities to cross-pillar partners and other engineers on the team
- Mentor other engineers on best practices, code design considerations, and quality
In addition to the responsibilities outlined above, at Webflow we will support you in identifying where your interests and development opportunities lie and we'll help you incorporate them into your role.
You’ll thrive as a Staff Backend Engineer if you:
- Have 7-10+ years of experience in scalable, multi-tenant environments
- Have 2+ years experience in tech-leading teams, including helping scope and breakdown work
- Experience tech-leading feature teams on customer-facing products
- Value testing and documentation equally as much as your code
- Are comfortable with ambiguity and scoping solutions with your teammates
- Have consistently communicated trade offs throughout a project to meet both technical and business requirements
- Enjoy high-visibility work and presenting to executive counterparts
- Get excited about encouraging and developing other engineers
Even if you don’t meet 100% of the above qualifications, you should still seriously consider applying. Research shows that you may still be considered for a role if you meet just half of the requirements.
Our Core Behaviors:
- Obsess over customer experience. We deeply understand what we’re building and who we’re building for and serving. We define the leading edge of what’s possible in our industry and deliver the future for our customers.
- Move with heartfelt urgency. We have a healthy relationship with impatience, channeling it thoughtfully to show up better and faster for our customers and for each other. Time is the most limited thing we have, and we make the most of every moment.
- Say the hard thing with care. Our best work often comes from intelligent debate, critique, and even difficult conversations. We speak our minds and don’t sugarcoat things — and we do so with respect, maturity, and care.
- Make your mark. We seek out new and unique ways to create meaningful impact, and we champion the same from our colleagues. We work as a team to get the job done, and we go out of our way to celebrate and reward those going above and beyond for our customers and our teammates.
Benefits & wellness
- Equity ownership (RSUs) in a growing, privately-owned company
- 100% employer-paid healthcare, vision, and dental insurance coverage for employees and dependents (US; full-time Canadian workers working 30+ hours per week), as well as Health Savings Account/Health Reimbursement Account, dependent on insurance plan selection. Employees also have voluntary insurance options, such as life, disability, hospital protection, accident, and critical illness
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave for both birthing and non-birthing caregivers, as well as an additional 6-8 weeks of pregnancy disability for birthing parents to be used before child bonding leave. Employees also have access to family planning care and reimbursement
- Flexible PTO with an mandatory annual minimum of 10 days paid time off, and sabbatical program
- Access to mental wellness coaching, therapy, and Employee Assistance Program
- Monthly stipends to support health and wellness, as well as smart work, and annual stipends to support professional growth
- Professional career coaching, internal learning & development programs
- 401k plan and financial wellness benefits, like CPA or financial advisor coverage
- Commuter benefits for in-office workers
Temporary employees are not eligible for paid holiday time off, accrued paid time off, paid leaves of absence, or company-sponsored perks.