OpenSea is the first and largest marketplace for non-fungible tokens, or NFTs. Applications for NFTs include collectibles, gaming items, domain names, digital art, and many other items backed by a blockchain. OpenSea is an open, inclusive web3 platform, where individuals can come to explore NFTs and connect with each other to purchase and sell NFTs. At OpenSea, we're excited about building a platform that supports a brand new economy based on true digital ownership and are proud to be recognized as Y Combinator's #4 ranked top private company.
Reporting to OpenSea’s Head of Communications, the Corporate and Policy Communications Lead will oversee corporate, policy and crisis communications and relevant thought leadership. This role will collaborate closely with cross-functional partners across Legal, Policy, Trust and Safety, Community, Marketing, and Finance teams, and be tasked with building trust, defending our reputation, and influencing opinion leaders through compelling storytelling and proactive Comms. This is an incredible opportunity for a scrappy, strategic problem-solver who thrives in a fast-paced environment, is energized by the unknown, and can inspire a team to do their best work—even in a crisis. The perfect candidate will exemplify OpenSea’s principles of trust, inclusivity and diversity, and help shape OpenSea’s corporate story through strategic storytelling. And you’ve gotta be able to laugh.
What You'll Do
- Build, execute, and oversee OpenSea’s Corporate Communications program, including offensive and defensive positioning, and short and long-term thought leadership to elevate OpenSea’s executives, technology, policy, and internal systems
- Shape and deploy compelling, differentiated narratives that build trust and credibility; help navigate announcements, issues, and organizational change, and position OpenSea as the global leader in NFTs
- Lead crisis response, connecting dots internally and developing a playbook to prepare for issues-based crises in the future
- Develop program and campaign plans that align Corporate Comms within wider team and company OKRs; build and manage an internal team, manage external agency partners, and establish a reporting process that appropriately reflects program impact
- Develop and execute executive visibility campaigns for relevant leadership: manage thought leadership platforms, develop related content (including executive presentations, speeches, social media/community comms, op-eds, etc), and become a trusted partner to leaders, counseling them to more effectively tell stories, manage crisis, and model OpenSea principles through external storytelling.
Serve as an OpenSea spokesperson during times of crisis, lead media relations as needed for related Corp Comms outreach
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone who is excited to join the team.
Proven experience leading corporate and crisis comms for high growth consumer tech companies
Expert detective with an ability to quickly connect dots, expose important details, draft messaging, and solve communications problems in a fast-paced environment
Deeply strategic and creative, with an eye for progressive communications formats/channels and the ability to tailor strategies to reach multiple audiences
Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, editing skills, and confidence presenting and defending plans to senior leaders
Excellent at communicating up, down, across, and within the team – with clarity and purpose
Exceptional organizational and project management skills; ability to adapt quickly to change in a highly dynamic environment with tight deadlines and changing priorities; exhibits flexibility, resilience, and grace under pressure
Deep media relations experience, an established set of relevant reporter relationships, and the proven ability to pitch and place top tier feature stories
Low ego, high impact, team player—we’re in it together at OpenSea!
Prior interest in and understanding of blockchain and NFT technology
Direct Policy Comms experience and/or experience working with regulators
Experience in-house and in-agency