Status is building the tools and infrastructure for the advancement of a secure, private, and open web3. With the high level goals of preserving the right to privacy, mitigating the risk of censorship, and promoting economic trade in a transparent, open manner, Status is building a community where anyone is welcome to join and contribute. As an organization, Status seeks to push the web3 ecosystem forward through research, creation of developer tools, and support of the open source community. As a product, Status is an open source, Ethereum-based app that gives users the power to chat, transact, and access a revolutionary world of DApps on the decentralized web. But Status is also building foundational infrastructure for the whole Ethereum ecosystem, including the Nimbus ETH 1.0 and 2.0 clients, the Keycard hardware wallet, and the Waku messaging protocol (a continuation of Whisper). As a team, Status has been completely distributed since inception. Our team is currently 100+ core contributors strong, and welcomes a growing number of community members from all walks of life, scattered all around the globe. We care deeply about open source, and our organizational structure has minimal hierarchy and no fixed work hours. We believe in working with a high degree of autonomy while supporting the organization’s priorities.
We’re Status. We’re building the future of crypto, creating tools for empowering freedom and the network state. We are ‘old school’ crypto and adhere to our values and philosophy. Our mission is to build tools to free and empower humanity, and we couldn’t do this without the best people. We’re a group of hard-working overachievers who are deeply focused on building the digital future. There are a few things we look for across all contributors at Status, regardless of role or team. First, we look for people who will understand our culture, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, and disrupt ourselves. Second, we expect everyone to commit to our mission and philosophy. Finally, we seek people who are excited to learn about and live in crypto, because for us it isn’t just a job but a way of life. As the Director of People Ops & Talent, you’ll work with the founders to help drive the organization forward. You’ll lead the people strategy with your expertise, attracting the best talent and defining the type of organization that maximizes retention; focussing on people’s wellbeing and productivity. Our ideal candidate is someone who has the capacity to develop an understanding of the culture and trends in the web3 ecosystem and has a passion for the future we’re building. We have the opportunity to shape how people engage, contribute, and interact in decentralized organizations and this person will influence it.
Who you are
- You’re optimistic and creative in your thinking; and diligent and systematic in your execution
- You’re inspiring and confident. You’re a relationship builder, someone who combines charm and a sense of humor with a direct and confident communication style
- You’re an avid listener and learner. Blockchain technology is constantly evolving and you’ll partner with technical and research leads. You learn from others and you proactively educate yourself in topics beyond your area of expertise
- You’re a problem-solver with a can-do attitude. You handle uncertainty and pressure with ease. You have a strong sense of ownership and collaboration: you’re reliable, but know we’re stronger together
- You’re a pragmatic strategist and a leader who’s not afraid to take risks
- You have high emotional intelligence and are authentic, with the ability to empathize and offer practical support to your team and wider core contributors ## ## What you’ll be doing
- Partner with the leadership team (founders, product, research, finance, and legal) to shape the current and future organizational architecture and processes for a project that strives for a fully decentralized structure
- Be an active community member and contributor in the web3 space, especially in relation to DAO ops and decentralized governance
- Coordinate communications within the people and talent teams and act as a spokesperson to the broader organization
- We’re planning to scale the team and hire unconventional profiles. You’ll help define the hiring strategy, roadmap & tactics whilst supporting the recruitment team to overcome bottlenecks, facilitating flow of communication from across the organization
- Lead and support process automation, engagement, performance management, and L&D projects
- Partner with, support and coordinate people partners and team leads in their hiring, onboarding, engagement, training, and retention needs ## ## What we’re looking for
- You share the web3/cypherpunk philosophy
- 5+ years of experience in a strategic leadership role; interfacing directly with founders or the board at a tech, web3, or crypto company
- Practical knowledge of talent acquisition, culture building, organizational architecture, and people operations.
- Experience partnering with engineering, finance and legal teams
- Eagerness to engage and build within web3 and OSS communities
- Open and eager to experiment with new models and technologies
- Alignment with Status’s Principles
[Don’t worry if you don’t meet all of these criteria, we’d still love to hear from you anyway if you think you’d be a great fit for this role. Just explain to us why in your cover letter].
Status offers above-average compensation, payable in fiat and/or crypto
The hiring process for this role will be:
- Interview with Pepper from our Talent team
- Interview with Monica, People Ops team
- Interview with Ric, People Ops team
- Task project
- Meet the team with John, Product Strategy Lead
- Get to know the team: POps group dynamic with Terry, Angel, Catia & Maya
- Co-Founder interview with Carl & Jarrad The steps may change along the way if we see it makes sense to adapt the interview stages, so please consider the above as a guideline.