Gather helps distributed teams build digital spaces that bring everyone together.
Whether collaborating in meetings, co-working with colleagues, or stopping by someone's digital desk, connecting with your team becomes energizing. High bandwidth work and culture creation happen no matter where your team members are.
The mission of Gather is to eliminate the physical barriers to opportunity and connection.
This is a first-of-its-kind role. As the Japan Country Lead, you will be the sole operator in Japan and have full responsibility for this territory. This is an expansive and open-ended role: you will learn everything there is to know about the Japanese market and our customers, serving in a Full Stack Customer role (user research, sales, onboarding, and account management). You will translate this deep knowledge of the Japanese market into impact by influencing Gather’s product direction and go-to-market strategy and executing all local operations with the help of cross-functional teams.
This is an intense, business-side startup role. There's no such thing as a typical day, and to excel, you can't just be smart – you have to be self-motivated, have exceptional relationship-building skills, and have strong execution skills. You’ll thrive in this role if you have a passion for understanding customers, are motivated by impact, and love to move fast and operate in unchartered territory.
What You’ll Do
- User Research — Conduct user and market research to deeply understand our Japanese customers. Synthesize and provide actionable product and go-to-market feedback to the rest of the team.
- Full Stack Customer — Own everything from sales, to onboarding, to customer success across Japan.
- Cross-functional Strategy – Work with our Product, Go-to-market, and Customer teams and utilize their resources and functional expertise to act on market insights and drive growth objectives.
- Operations — Constantly iterate on a local go-to-market plan and execute it end-to-end.
- Be an owner — Act on other opportunities that we can't foresee right now. There will be things that come up and you must be ready to solve them as fast as they happen.
Who You Are
- Experience — 4+ years in sales, business development, strategy, consulting, operations, or as a founder at a fast-growing tech startup, ideally launching new products or services in a different city, territory, or country. We are still interested if your experience is not exactly listed here but you feel like you are a good fit for this role.
- Self-starter – You have a bias towards action and are able to thrive in a fast-paced, constantly changing work environment. You roll up your sleeves and do whatever it takes to make things successful.
- Entrepreneurial – You crave responsibility and want to shape the vision and direction of the company. You’re naturally curious and always look for ways to innovate and improve.
- Versatile — You enjoy being a swiss army knife jumping between different workstreams.
- Relationship-builder – You can influence and motivate people at all levels across a variety of job functions.
- Product sense — you have strong product intuitions and user empathy to understand their problems and how we can solve them.
- Bilingual proficiency — native Japanese proficiency, excellent English proficiency.
Japan Salary Range
At Gather, compensation may vary outside of this range depending on a number of factors, including a candidate’s qualifications, skills, competencies and experience, and location. The base salary range for this position in the selected country is $17M JPY - $23M JPY annually and we encourage candidates outside of this salary range to apply.
Base pay is one part of the total package that is provided to compensate and recognize employees for their work, and this role may be eligible for a stock reward program.
- Work remotely out of a state-of-the-art virtual office!
- Competitive compensation, benefits, and meaningful equity
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision insurance for employees and their dependents
- 401k and matching program
- Generous PTO policy and mental health days to recharge
- Meal stipend twice a week to keep you nourished
- Remote work, education, and health & wellness stipend
- Support for family planning & gender-affirmation
- The opportunity to join a passionate team in building something that actually makes peoples' lives better, every single day