Maven is building the university of the future - empowering the world’s experts to offer live courses directly to their students. Courses on Maven have community at their core, focus on active learning, and are available anywhere in the world.
We're the leading player in a massive and growing market, but are still early enough for you to make a big impact.
Our team has raised $25 million from incredible investors including Andreessen Horowitz, First Round, Naval, and more. We've launched hundreds of successful courses and helped instructors of all backgrounds make a living teaching the things they know best.
If you want to help shape the courses for hundreds of Maven instructors, this role is it. You’ll support world-class instructors as they build, launch, and host their courses on Maven. Maven has come out of private beta and we now have hundreds of new courses being created each week. As a result, we have a growing community of successful instructors who are looking to scale their “school” into a full-time income and beyond. That’s where you’ll come in.
In this role, you’ll develop the system to nurture our top instructors - improve their earnings, inspire their evangelism, and drive retention and cohort frequency. Using tools like community, programs, events, product, and marketing, you’ll ensure instructors deliver exceptional learning experiences to students and continue to grow their course businesses.
As part of this role, you’ll:
- Grow and activate an engaged community of Maven instructors, owning the channels and spaces where they’ll share insights and support each other through that growth
- Develop the playbooks that guide instructors as they make strategic decisions, improve their marketing, and streamline course operations
- Liaise with the product team as the voice of the instructor user - flagging important bugs, proposing new features, and working closely on scoping improvements and feature rollouts
- Manage a select group of VIP instructor relationships
As a result of your efforts, you’ll create Maven evangelists. These evangelists will be a key marketing asset that will drive new instructor acquisitions - a crucial growth loop to scaling of Maven’s catalog.
Your KPIs will be quarterly retention of top performing instructors, the NPS of the Maven instructor experience (as rated by instructors), and the earnings growth of the Maven course catalog. Your impact in this role will be felt by hundreds of instructors and thousands of students participating in Maven courses.
Who's a Good Fit
Picasso said, “There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into sun." You transform a yellow spot into the sun. You’re scrappy, rigorous, and find a way to get things done. You’ve taken a little and turned it into a lot.
You’ve been a founder or an early hire on an early-stage team or worked in a role that was ever-changing. You have bold ideas, and the skills to gather what you need to execute a realistic minimum viable project. Ambiguity doesn’t scare you, it excites you as it offers space to discover and create.
You're a strategic doer and entrepreneurial builder. You don't just tolerate execution and hope you don't have to execute for much longer--you find your craft thrilling and you love building. Working in a fast-paced, demanding environment energizes you and you find tough challenges and direct feedback to be the best pathways for growth.
- Marketing - you can think strategically about scaling courses and are excited to get your hands dirty writing copy, producing an event, or bridging partnerships. You’ll recognize the potential that exists to train our instructors at scale to grow their courses and then to activate successful instructors as evangelists for Maven.
- Community management - you will be able to engage the instructor community with thoughtful guidance and clear CTAs. You don’t have to be a community expert, but you value community as a tool and will be able to use it effectively.
- Account management - you understand when and where people need a higher level of support. You’ll be someone our VIP instructors respect and who they’ll be eager to get on a call with to gather new ideas about their courses. You are excellent at managing up - escalating if relationships are fraying, and knowing when to activate the team to take a more hands-on approach.
You will set and execute the strategy for instructor retention and growth. You are highly adaptable - we don’t know the problems we’re going to be solving so you’ll be able to jump in across many different areas and you have the intelligence and work ethic to figure those spaces out, craft a solution, and execute on that solution.
- Nice to haves:
Experience working at a marketplace company, especially on the “supply” side
Experience building and activating engaged product communities (example: Notion, Figma)