Maven is building the university of the future - empowering the world’s experts to offer live courses directly to their students. Courses on Maven have community at their core, focus on active learning, and are available anywhere in the world.
We're the leading player in a massive and growing market, but are still early enough for you to make a big impact.
Our team has raised $25 million from incredible investors including Andreessen Horowitz, First Round, Naval, and more. We've launched hundreds of successful courses and helped instructors of all backgrounds make a living teaching the things they know best.
We have a growing community of world-class instructors looking to scale their “school” into a full-time income and beyond. In this role, you’ll develop the system to nurture this community - improve their earnings, increase cohort frequency, and inspire evangelism. Using tools like community engagement, programs, events, product, and marketing, you’ll ensure instructors continue to grow their course businesses and deliver exceptional learning experiences to students.
You will set and execute the strategy for instructor retention and growth including:
- Growing and activating an engaged instructor community by owning the channels where they share and receive insights, feedback, and support (Slack, email, events).
- Owning the future of the “Maven Selects” program — iterating on, communicating, and enforcing the criteria instructors must meet to be featured across Maven’s marketplace.
- Developing the playbooks that guide instructors as they make strategic decisions, improve their marketing, and streamline course operations.
- Liaising with the product team as the voice of our instructors — proposing improvements, collaborating on the scope and roll out of new features, and flagging important issues.
- Managing a select group of VIP instructor relationships
The measures of your success will be retention of target instructors, the earnings growth of the Maven course catalog, and the NPS of the Maven instructor experience.
Who You Are
Picasso said, “There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." You transform a yellow spot into the sun. You have bold ideas, and you love executing. Ambiguity doesn’t scare you, it excites you as it offers space to discover and create. You find your craft thrilling and working in a fast-paced, demanding environment energizes you. You find tough challenges and direct feedback to be the best pathways for growth.
For this role, you’ll need 8+ years of relevant experience and the following skills:
- Marketing/Content - you have or can quickly develop an instinct for what makes courses excellent and attractive to our target students. You can think strategically about growing course enrollments and building a system to get our instructors to do that at scale. You are excited to get your hands dirty writing effective copy or producing an event.
- Community management - you can engage the instructor community with thoughtful guidance, quality content, and clear CTAs. You don’t need to be a community expert, but you value community as a tool and can use it effectively.
- Account management - you can manage multiple threads of communication at once and understand when people need a higher level of support. You’ll be someone our VIP instructors trust to bring them effective ideas to improve their courses. You are excellent at managing up - escalating if relationships are fraying, and activating the larger team when needed. You also know how and when to tactfully push back or hold the line.
- Analytical rigor - you set measurable goals, analyze data to understand what’s working, and clearly communicate your conclusions. You weigh inputs from multiple sources and dig beyond headline numbers to grasp the whole story.
- Scrappiness - you are highly adaptable. We don’t know all of the problems we’re going to be solving so you’ll have the intelligence, work ethic, and ownership mentality to craft and execute solutions across many different areas.
- Nice to haves:
- Experience working at a marketplace company, especially on the “supply” side
- Experience building engaged product communities (example: Notion, Figma)
Compensation and benefits
- The salary range for this role is between $140k-170k/year with an additional equity component.
- We’re a 100% distributed team and anyone within 1 hour of US time zones is welcome to apply. We provide a home-office stipend and host multiple in-person off-sites each year.
- Our benefits include medical, dental, and vision insurance, access to a 401(k) plan, unlimited PTO (3 weeks minimum), and parental leave.