CharacterStrong’s Background & Mission:
CharacterStrong is a fast-paced, tech education company that makes PreK-12 digital, social-emotional learning curricula and offers professional learning opportunities to support schools with implementation. There’s currently a team of about 60 full-time employees, several part-time employees, and over 30 trainers collaborating to bring this work to life. Our mission is to create a more loving world by equipping educators with tools to teach the critical social, emotional, and character skills necessary to foster a more empathetic, connected, and generous world. At CharacterStrong, you will have the opportunity to make a positive impact on education, both in the United States and internationally. CharacterStrong employees offer their innovativeness, dedication to excellence, and compassion to help produce transformational curricula and training for educators.
CharacterStrong’s Company Values:
- We Practice Kindness - Exercising inclusion, care, and empathy with others, balancing honesty with compassion when having courageous conversations and engaging in kindness towards self.
- We Produce Excellence - Producing timely, quality results and consistently asking the question, “How can we make this 1% better?”
- We Take Ownership - Taking the initiative to drive work forward, demonstrating responsibility when things do not go according to plan, and being proactive in closing identified gaps.
- We Problem Solve - Identifying issues, analyzing for understanding, and taking action to implement the best possible solution.
Purpose of Role
The primary responsibility of the UX/UI Designer is to make design decisions informed by data, aiming to elevate user satisfaction and enhance the overall user experience of CharacterStrong products. This role plays a crucial part in improving usability, accessibility, and visual excellence, ensuring that our products are intuitive and visually appealing. Additionally, the position requires collaborative problem-solving across various departments, including research, curriculum, and technology. The UX/UI Designer will actively contribute to the development of wireframes, prototypes, and usability testing, ultimately driving successful user outcomes.
- Conduct user research via interviews, surveys, and usability testing to gather insights and understand user needs.
- Create visual representations of user journeys and map out the product's layout and functionality to illustrate the user flow and interactions via wireframing and prototyping.
- Develop high-fidelity mockups and information visualization while ensuring the visual elements align with the brand and enhance the overall user experience.
- Work closely with cross-functional teams to implement design solutions and address usability challenges.
- Ensure designs are responsive and adaptable across various devices and screen sizes, and integrate accessibility principles to make products equitable for all.
- Work with the art director to develop and maintain design systems to create consistency in visual elements across different parts of a product or multiple products.
- Assist the design team in creative problem-solving and creating graphics that support a wide range of curriculum and marketing needs.
- A bachelor's degree in Graphic Design, Interaction Design, HCI (Human-Computer Interaction), or other related discipline
- Strong portfolio showcasing previous design projects, demonstrating skills in wireframing, prototyping, and a variety of design tools.
- Proficiency in design tools such as Figma and the Adobe Suite.
- Experience with user research methodologies, usability testing, and the ability to translate findings into design improvements.
- Knowledge of user experience principles, information architecture, and interaction design.
- Communication skills to articulate design decisions and collaborate with cross-functional teams.
- Ability to adapt to changing project requirements and work in a dynamic environment.
- A keen eye for detail to ensure the design aligns with brand guidelines and provides a positive user experience.
- Problem-solving skills and the ability to think creatively to address design challenges.
- Ability to collaborate effectively with colleagues, stakeholders, and developers to bring designs to fruition.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Salary & Benefits:
- $80,000-$95,000 base salary, commensurate with experience
- Ability to work remotely
- Annual bonus based on company performance
- New laptop computer, AirPods, and other needed equipment
- Annual Individual Budget for Professional Development of $1,000
- 401k Plan after 12 months of Employment
- Medical Insurance, Dental Insurance, Vision
- Paid Parental Leave after 12 months of employment for eligible employees
- 10 Paid Vacation Days, 8 Paid Sick Days, 14 Paid Company Holidays