In the five years since we launched, 25% of young people 18-25 in the US have downloaded Co-Star. Our growth has been entirely through word of mouth—we’ve never spent money on ads. Big Sean has rapped about us, Ariana Grande & Kevin Durant post screenshots to their IGs, and we’ve been App of the Day twice.
Astrology is a deterministic system, based on the physical location of stars in the sky. For thousands of years, it has given people the tools to reflect and connect in real, meaningful ways; a barely-disguised language for intimate conversation about hopes, emotions, fears, and needs.
We’ve been using GPT since the very beginning. Every day, we generate millions of completely personalized horoscopes by combining natural language processing with the insights of staff poets & astrologers.
We’re looking for an engineer to work on our Haskell backend which helps millions of people connect to each other through astrology. Our backend engineers support our mobile and web frontends and our internal teams, including our generative AI writing and content team.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Support our mobile apps (we have native iOS and Android apps) through the backend. You’ll build new features and help iterate on existing ones.
- Help our writers by developing internal tooling and supporting admin features of our Editor tool.
- Work closely with small, cross-functional teams to provide insight into scope and effort so our product team can shape right-sized solutions.
WHAT YOU'LL BRING
- Experience writing and shipping code in production; 3 years of professional experience.
- A strong desire to work with Haskell. We realize that most people don’t have work experience with Haskell. Production experience in functional languages (Scala, OCaml, etc.) is a plus, but our technical stack can be taught.
- A love for documentation and testing. We like to experiment and well-documented, tested code goes a long way to helping us ship quickly and confidently.
- A pragmatic approach to problem solving with a focus on user problems. Our favorite problems to solve are the ones that have a meaningful impact on our users.
- Some experience with cloud infrastructure (AWS) and databases (we use PostgreSQL).
- Knowledge or interest in ML and NLP
OUR TECHNICAL INTERVIEW PROCESS
Our interview process is divided into four phases — an initial introduction with a recruiter, a secondary interview with a manager, a technical interview that involves some live coding and some system design, and lastly, a meeting with our founder.
We realize technical interviews can feel challenging to prepare for, so here’s what we’re interested in seeing from you:
- Clean, testable code that’s compiled frequently
- Clear communication around your decision-making process
- Creative and thoughtful problem-solving
- Self-reflection around past projects and the ability to articulate what worked, what didn’t work, and what you'd do differently now that you know the outcomes
- Ability to partner with coworkers outside of engineering
We’re not interviewing for:
- LeetCode, HackerRank, etc. These can be fun, but they rarely reflect what the job is really like.
- Memorization of trivia or solutions. You will have access to search engines, books, and your colleagues in real life.
- Opaque, tricky engineering solutions for their own sake. We believe a good solution is as simple as possible.
WHAT WE OFFER
- Fully covered $0 deductible healthcare + vision, dental, and therapy
- 401(k) + 5% matching
- Unlimited vacation + 2 week company-wide recharge at the end of each year
- Equipment budget
- 12 weeks 100% paid parental leave
- Readings with in-house astrologers